Monday, April 6, 2015

Victoria Blog #2 Environmental Justice Conference Youth Leadership in Nature Challenge D.C.

Victoria Owens, Freshmen, Houston East End Greenbelt GreenSchools! Green Ambassador and STEAM Lab Proctor, The Green Institute- Furr High School

Hello, my name is Victoria Owens and I am a freshman and Green Ambassador at E. L. Furr High School in Houston, Texas. Our Project Learning Tree Greenschools! Team works as interns with Friends of the Forest and Grasslands in Texas –Latino Legacy. Together with the U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Fruit Tree Planting Foundation we have been able to gain support and are empowered as students to transform our community from a food desert into a food forest.

I remember starting this year at Furr High school, trying to figure out what I was going to do, because I couldn't just drop out, I needed to be active and involved. But the regular class setting of four walls, artificial lighting and tight rooms were causing anxiety. I had Mr. Elizondo's class for seventh period and he was always telling us about projects, plus he was so passionate and excited about what he was doing. I was looking for something to be involved in, and Mr. Elizondo invited me and many other students into GreenSchools! At the time, I didn't know what the program was, I just knew that my teacher was running it. It keeps me afloat, busy, and active, and I have confidence knowing that I am helping to keep the next generations sustained. The fact that I am a youth educator comes as a surprise to many, and it is only because the program gives us an opportunity to be heard and reach our dreams.

At the 2015 National Environmental Justice Conference, we spoke about the work we do in Houston, Texas and our roles in environmental justice. We were ecstatic to have the ability to share our voices, inspire others, and learn about the way professionals fight for the health of every single organism on our planet. It was very exciting to network with intrigued professionals in our nation’s capital. It’s very normal not to “believe” in change, therefore, it was hard for us to believe all of the kind and supportive words from the U.S. Forest Service Executive Leadership Team and from others who came from all parts of the nation and the world to D.C.


These warriors have been fueling a proactive environmental movement for many years, which is why we were elated that they really enjoyed our visits and even joked of not having their “heads on this straight” when they were our age, and therefore looked forward to seeing our work continue. I am thankful to all of the amazing professionals who have listened and care about our battles to win this war together, because when you're part of a team this big, anything's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment