Monday, April 6, 2015

Cinthia Blog #2 Environmental Justice Conference Youth Leadership in Nature Challenge D.C.

Cinthia Cantu, Sophomore, Houston East End Greenbelt GreenSchools! Green Ambassador and STEAM Lab Proctor - The Green Institute- Furr High School; Renewable Energy Pathway, Energy Efficient Pathway

Something that inspired me to be part of the Houston East End Greenbelt movement was the passion of the members to work outside with the land. That inspired me because I come from a family where they worked the agricultural fields harvesting cotton, beans and corn. To me the work was really impressive, the intense physical rigor of the occupation and the numerous hours experienced on the fields.
I was really happy to witness that many students and people were inspired to grow their own food, plant fruit trees and to work outside with fresh air. When I saw people working outside with love, I knew at that moment I was going to take part of the movement. What keeps me active is knowing the benefits that will come such as better air, better health, better eating habits and better knowledge to share with other people.

Most important is that you get to work outside and engage with people and students with different ideas that could become the next big project. One thing that I really like about GreenSchools! is that all of the people you get to know become like family, we think the same way so we create productive choices. Another thing I really like, is that you get to work with little kids that still have the chance to make a habit of enjoying their day outside instead of inside with an electronic device.

I have seen people from planting trees to picking up trash on the beaches of Galveston. Some reasons I keep moving forward with the East End Greenbelt movement is the willing of people wanting to learn more about nature.  In all of the trainings I have been able to participate, I have seen with my own eyes how enthusiastic parents, teachers and principals get when they witness the students interact with nature. Sometimes you just have to step outside and you will observe how easy it is to entertain students with nature, while at the same time connecting their experiences to STEAM and their school academics.

It is important to unify for this cause more than ever because it is good for the earth, our health, ourselves and are family. We know many who suffer with diabetes, high or low blood pressure and other illnesses.The food is the problem and the solution. Planting fruit trees and creating a food forest for both humans and nature is our prime mission. It’s on us to do something about it. The overall message I want to give is that….we the young ones need to take action because it is our future and we should fight for it and without working together, it will not be possible. We have been blessed to have strong supporters such as the U.S. Forest Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, our school administration and the backing of our school district. 

Through this movement, I was able to gain insight of the career I plan to study, which is Hydrology at Stephen F. Austin State University. I choose this career because I want to help with the water problems we have at Houston and other places in the nation and around the world. I was able to explore Hydrology while I visited Stephen F. Austin State University during our annual summer Youth in Nature Leadership Challenge with the Friends of the National Forests and Grasslands in Texas –Latino Legacy.  The summer program took us on a week journey to explore careers in natural resources and network with professors and professionals from the industry. At the time, I wasn’t documented. I don’t have full citizenship as of yet, just permission to work in the U.S. I nor my family have access to such programs and I am the first in my family to finish high school and graduate from university. This is one of the main reasons why I enjoy the program, it allows for students like me and others to seek out their passion regardless of their background, it embraces all. Instead of looking at the negativity of my status, it pushed me to keep moving forward. If the movement ends, I would make sure to start a new one because this is a program that should never run out of passion. If the program was able to be sustained by partnerships, it would be great because we really need support from the industry and partners to make this movement happen. If the program expanded, I would be overwhelmed with happiness and you can count on me to help create the leaders of tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment