Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Christofer Martinez Blog 1 D.C. Trip! :)

Christofer Martinez, Senior, Houston East End Greenbelt GreenSchools! Co-op Green Ambassador - The Green Institute- Furr High School; (Serves 5 schools and a community center) 

Since my first encounter with the Houston East End Greenbelt movement my point of perspective has vigorously changed. It’s clear such a program turns children into mature adults. Throughout my experiences with Latino Legacy, I have gained many skills in which I would not have  been able to gain in a common schedule in our educational system. I would have never thought about having the opportunity to come to Washington D.C to be part of the 2015 National Environmental Justice Conference and speak about restoring our environment. It’s a positive feeling that many youth leaders are sparking and creating solutions, and adults are in full support! Many professionals we have met through our D.C. journey have opened up future connections and creating partnerships with other passionate students and organizations. It’s nice to know there are more people out there who are willing to support the mission of caring for the land and to restore the environment. Given the opportunity to be part of the 2015 National Environmental Justice Conference has been an eye opener, I learned about issues and tragedies in which I was not aware.

Many shared stories of illnesses and struggles, even from being from different states, many of us share similar challenges with climate change and environmental justice. Hearing about these tradies on our earth from personal experiences helps you gain a deep understanding, care and knowledge about these issues and energizes us to create solutions to end them.

Washington D.C. is a beautiful and historical place that activates your curiosity, allowing you to have many options like visiting the National Air and Space Museum, National Museum of the American Indian and countless D.C. monuments are miraculous to experience. Throughout this journey to D.C. it has been joyful to create and share experiences with friends and teammates!
I humbly thank everyone who supported us and worked hard to give us the opportunity to be part of the 2015 National Environmental Justice Conference. Throughout this journey, I have learned and created awesome memories. I will share what I have learned and gained  back home and tell my family and friends. Unity will bring us all into a loving state of  peace and finally bring upon us the solution to end suffering.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very knowledgeable perspective. I'm glad to see that this program is enhancing your maturity, knowledge, understanding, and intelligence.

    ReplyDelete